DhakaCollege since its birth has been a realm of knowledge regarding a range of various subjects. Zoology is mostly concerned with the integrative study of animal biology, and the department of Zoology gives the provision of knowing, studying, and researching on the zoological matters in a wide array. The Department of Zoology traces its journey in the year 1972 and the founder Head of the department was Late Professor Dr. Dewan Sirajul Islam.
The department offers a HSC program based on National Curriculum. Besides, it also provides B.Sc. Honours and Masters programs of four and one year respectively. In Masters the department has two branches of learning called Fisheries and Entomology. This enables the learners to attain specialization in any of the two fields of study thoroughly. In 1985, first batch of Masters final year students were enrolled in this department in Fisheries branch. There were only 25 students in the first batch but the numbers of the students are significantly increasing every year and at present approximately 125 students are enrolling in each session.
In the shadowing serene DhakaCollege campus, the department is situated in south at the ground floor of the main college building. There is an eco-park named ‘Pranongon” affluent of a variety of plantations and structural model illustrating the ecological pyramid. The department has a seminar rich with a range of books, articles and journals of the concerned subject matters. It has a well-maintained Zoological museum consisting of a diversified collection of animals and creatures belonging to different species and races.
The department not only provides a sound and efficient learning programs but also ensures a healthy academic environment and incredible teacher-student relationship. The department is proud of its praiseworthy faculty comprising of members having rich educational background and high dignity. The department promotes execution of study tours and field-level research to enlighten the students with proper theoretical learning in harmony with the practical experiences. A number of students prepare thesis paper under the scrutinizing supervision of the teachers, and conduct researches with collaboration of Bangladesh Council for the Science and Industrial Research (BCSIR).
Despite all these educational affairs the department also encourages various competitions, creation of Wall Magazine, and lively activities in Dhaka College Zoology Club. Point to be mentioned, the performance of the students of this department is spectacular in~ several scientific competitions among all the universities of Dhaka. The students indomitably achieved successful results in such competitions like Bird fair, Microbiological and Genetic engineering quiz competitions, etc. These are, indeed, necessary tools to enhance and enrich the extent of knowledge of the students of the department.
Thus, history witnessed that the students of the department of Zoology have attained outstanding results in the examinations as well as been dynamic in co-curriculum activities and sensible in pragmatic situations of life. They not only flourish the name of the Department of Zoology of DhakaCollege with their educational merits, but also play significant roles to contribute in diverse sectors of the society and the country.
Department of Zoology. Dhaka College
Department of Zoology of DhakaCollege consists of a group of twelve excellent teachers with rich educational background and dignifying personality. Among them, we have:
1. Dr. Sufia BulbuI, Chairman, Department of Zoology, DhakaCollege
2. Ms. Syeda Habiba, Associate Professor, Department of Zoology, DhakaCollege
3. Dr. Noor-E Parvin Khanom, Associate Professor, Department of Zoology, DhakaCollege
4. Ms. Sharifa Sultala, Associate Professor, Department of Zoology, DhakaCollege
5. Dr. Afroza Sultana, Assistant Professor, Department of Zoology, DhakaCollege
6. Dr. Tram Jahan, Assistant Professor, Department of Zoology, DhakaCollege
7. Ms. Hasrat Ahmed, Assistant Professor, Department of Zoology, DhakaCollege
8. Mr. Md. Jahangir Hossain Sheikh, Assistant Professor, Department of Zoology, DhakaCollege
9. Ms. Faria Sultana, Assistant Professor, Department of Zoology, DhakaCollege
10. Ms. Tahura Khatun, Lecturer, Department of Zoology, DhakaCollege
11. Ms. Salma Khanam, Lecturer, Department of Zoology, DhakaCollege
12. Ms. Luna Sharmin, Lecturer, Department of Zoology, DhakaCollege
13. Mr. Md. Shafiqul Islam, Demonstrator, Department of Zoology, DhakaCollege