AKMA Hamid, President of the Institution of Engineers, Bangladesh, makes the urge in an exclusive interview with the Technology Talk Programme of The Guardian in January 2014.
AKMA Hamid, President of the Institution of Engineers, Bangladesh, makes the observation in an exclusive interview with the Technology Talk Programme of The Guardian in January 2014.
He elaborated how the institution came to this position.
In 1946, the subordinate Engineers Association was formed by the qualified service holders having certificates of upper subordinate course & overseer course of 4 years duration and also certificate from City & Guides, London.
At last on 8th November 1970 the Diploma Engineers of the then East Pakistan, now Bangladesh, established the Institute of their own under the name and style as the East Pakistan Institute of Diploma Engineers, now Institution of Diploma Engineers, Bangladesh (IDEB).
To resist non-uniformities in the social structure and to curb on misuse of public money, IDEB has promoted and accelerated its activities 75% to 80% for the nation and the people while the rest 20-25% activities of the Institute render for the interest of its members, that is, for the justifiable common problems and interest of the Diploma Engineers.
To develop professional skill and knowledge in the practical field, IDEB organizes training programme for its members as well as for the unemployed youth of the country to solve the employment problems.
The institution has a 14-point recommendation which includes stopping idea of exporting natural gas, preventing brain drain, increasing use of surface water for irrigation and stopping lifting underground water and save the country ecologically, environmentally and from being a desert.
The registered headquarters of the Institution in Dhaka, the Capital City of the People’s Republic of Bangladesh.
2. The Institution is administered by the Central Executive Committee (CEC) from the head quarters thorough District/ Thana/ Unit Committees.
3. 64 District Executive Committees (Centres) are in each district head quarters.
4. 460 Upazila Committees (Sub-Centres) are in each of the upozila of the country.
6. 82 Service Associations i.e. the Departmental Association of the Diploma Engineers employed in departments/ organizations act as reinforcement of IDEB.
7. 87 Student organizations, one in each of the Polytechnic Institute act as associated organization of IDEB.
8. IDEB is the biggest professional association in Bangladesh. It shall remain biggest in future because approximately 10,000 members from 46 government and more than 100 private polytechnic Institutes would reinforce the strength of the Institute every year.