Trott leaves England’s Ashes tour

England’s Jonathan Trott has left the Ashes tour of Australia because of a long-standing stress-related condition.

Batsman Trott scored 19 runs in two innings during England’s first Test defeat and struggled against the bowling of Mitchell Johnson.

“I don’t think it is right that I’m playing knowing that I’m not 100%,” said the 32-year-old.

England coach Andy Flower added: “He needs time away from this environment and time with his family.”

The tourists will play an Australian Chairman’s XI over two days from Friday, before the second Test in Adelaide on 5 December.

Trott batted in all 10 innings when England retained the Ashes during the summer, averaging 29 runs, but he was dismissed for 10 and 9 in during the first Test defeat at the Gabba.

“I cannot currently operate at the level I have done in the past,” he added.

“My priority now is to take a break from cricket so that I can focus on my recovery.”

Trott’s display in Brisbane was described as“poor and weak” by Australia’s David Warner, who also claimed England’s batsman had “scared eyes.”

England captain Alastair Cook said the comments were “disrespectful,” a view shared by Flower who says Warner’s remarks had no impact on Trott’s decision to leave.

“Jonathan has been struggling with this condition for quite a while,” added Flower.

“We have been on tour for about a month and he has had his ups and downs through that month and it is not directly related to that.

“I would also say players commenting to fellow professionals in the media is disrespectful and I think on this occasion he [Warner] has got that horribly wrong.”

Flower believes taking Trott to Australia was the correct decision and he is hopeful the Warwickshire player will return to the international setup in the future.

England’s performance squad, which provides back-up to the main party, is also in Australia, but no immediate replacement for Trott has been called into Cook’s squad.

Ian Bell could move up the order to number three, while the spare middle-order spot will be filled by Jonny Bairstow, the uncapped Gary Ballance, or all-rounder Ben Stokes, who would offer an extra bowling option.

Trott made his England debut in the decisive fifth Test of the 2009 Ashes series and his century helped England secure a victory which regained them the urn.

Since then, he has been a permanent fixture in England’s Test and one-day teams – scoring 3763 Test runs at an average of 46.45 and almost 3,000 one-day international runs at 51.25.

He is ranked number eight in the world rankings for ODI batsmen and is in the top 15 in the five-day format.

However, the 2011 ICC and ECB Cricketer of the Year becomes the third England cricketer to depart a tour with a stress-related illness in recent years.

Former opening batsman Marcus Trescothick left the 2005-06 India tour and the 2006-07 Ashes tour of Australia, while left-arm spinner Michael Yardy flew home from the 2011 World Cup.

Trescothick told BBC Radio 5 live: “It would have been a horrible decision to make, to come out and talk about these things for the first time is tough, I’m sure he’s not feeling great at all, but he’s definitely made the right decision.

“When you’re in that state of mind you get very good at hiding these things but there comes a time where you have to talk about it. It just gets too big sometimes and the best thing to do is to take some time away from it.

“It’s debilitating, it grinds you down, and its difficult to escape from, you can’t get away from it in all areas of your life. There is no hiding place from it, 24/7. It’s really really tough and it will take time for him to get back on track again.”